Home Dog Dog First Aid

Dog First Aid



Dogs are by nature curious and love to explore. One of the ways they discover new things is through taste. This means that there is always the possibility that your dog may ingest a poisonous substance. If you think that your dog has swallowed a harmful substance wash its mouth out immediately to remove any remaining poisons. Then contact your veterinarian or the local Animal Poison Control Center. When you take your dog to a clinic try to take the container of the substance that your dog swallowed along with you to help in the diagnosis and treatment of your dog.


Dogs find this sweet tasting poison very attractive. 


Convulsions, vomiting, dizziness, coma and sudden death.


If sure that your dog has drunk antifreeze you should immediately seek medical attention. Even with prompt medical attention antifreeze can cause death.


This human drug is poisonous to dogs if not administered properly.


Dizziness, blood-tinged vomiting, bloody diarrhea and a total collapse.


If you find your dog eating aspirin you should induce vomiting.
Then give your dog a water and baking soda solution to neutralize the aspirin. The mixture should be made of 10 ml of baking soda and 30 ml of water.
Seek immediate medical attention.


This is a substance that should always be locked away in a safe place.


Runny or irritated eyes, red mouth, vomiting, diarrhea.


Rinse your dogs mouth and eyes with large amounts of water and give it plenty of water to drink. Seek immediate medical attention.

Vermin poisons: 

The poison in that is found in anti-rodent pellets is poisonous if eaten by your dog and it is can poison your dog if he just eats an animal that has been killed by rodent poison.


One of the most common toxins used in the manufacture of rat poison is warfarin a chemical that stops blood from clotting and causes hemorrhaging. Some of the other symptoms are convulsions, muscular rigidity and total collapse.


The specific treatment depends entirely on the active toxin in the rodent poison. It is therefore imperative that the veterinarian knows what kind of rodent poison was eaten so that he/she can diagnose the best treatment.
Seek urgent medical attention if your dog eats a dead rodent or rodent poison and be sure to take the original packaging of the poison with you if you can.


There are some plants like mistletoe, holly and Easter lilies can make your dog very sick. Before getting house plants be sure and check with your dog’s veterinarian.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here